Wednesday 24 December 2014

Beer with the Chief


The Chief Officer invited us over to his cabin today for a drink. We were both in the mood to watch a movie, but you don't refuse an invitation from a superior, so we obliged.

The Chief officer is in his late 20’s, married to his high school sweet heart and after his marriage, his wife had always accompanied him on all his contracts, but for this one. He had just gotten promoted from 2nd officer, so Cheena and him were already buddies. Very amicable and very gentlemanly, he proved my hypothesis of “Bengali men are gallant gentlemen” right once again.  Not that I know many Bengali men, but the ones I have met have always been very courteous.

He mentioned he never liked drinking alone and he had a can of coconut water for me to drink (did I mention courteous?). Among cans of beers, the men had a long chat about work interspersed with explanations for me.

We were scheduled to watch Lord of the Rings that night, but we spent the night talking instead. Sometimes, even Lords have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment