Monday 22 December 2014

Treading on the waters

The scenery from my window changes everyday; yet it remains the same. Two days ago, I could see rain clouds and the sea reaching out to the sky with its swells. Today, the sky is a pale blue and the clouds are a fluffy white and the sea is calm. I see the sky and the sea out of my window porthole everyday. I see only the sky and the sea.

Almost a week since I came here. Everyday has been pretty much the same – breakfast, reading, lunch, studying, dinner, movie and sleep. Cheena likes to have a routine. He loves following routines. I like schedules, but hate routines. I have a study schedule – a target to complete everyday, but even that doesn't follow a routine. Routines are mind numbing. Routines are tedious.

The ship is called Sakura Glory. Made in Japan, of course. I am having fun trying to read the signs and instructions that are in Japanese. I get frustrated at not being able to read half of them. I get elated when I can read even one new kanji because that is proof that my schedule is effective.

When the rain clouds gathered
When it rained
Being an officer at a ship has various advantages. But the best advantage is probably the lesser contract period.  The crew has a contract period of 9 months; invariably it is ten months when they sign off. So if your left a pregnant wife home, you would possibly come back to see a baby that is already trying to crawl, and looking at you curiously trying to figure out who the new celebrated stranger is.

I am getting to know my fellow travellers. It is always amusing to read people. It is even more amusing reading these sailors, who have been here for many months already. A youth from a small seaside town in Tamilnadu, who joined here as a steward because all his other catering school friends were doing so. A young lad from a town in Maharashtra who chose to sail because that's what half his family did. A boy from Jallandar who had never stepped foot out of Punjab before he decided to become a sailor. A veteran who has been sailing for over thirty years now so much so that he seems completely consumed by water, inside and outside. All of them try to be as amicable as possible to each other, and to me, but everybody is well aware that these friendships, like friendships on the train, come with an expiry date. Nevertheless, the conversations keep me going. They always seem to have interesting stories. Stories that only a sailor could have.

The churned light blue water and the life boat
Did you know that poisonous scorpions are a delicacy in Thailand? Did you know that Japanese cab drivers could be so rude that they leave out people who don't turn up on time? Did you know that in China, snakes are stored in jars containing preservatives to be used as pickles later? Did you know that Atlantic Ocean is more aggressive than the Indian Ocean? Did you know that the churning out of water by ships change the colour of the water that gets churned?

Katradhu kai man alavu. Kalladadhu ulagu alavu.

No comments:

Post a Comment